Monday 8 September 2014

INTERVIEW: MAX KRETZSCHMAR [WYCOMBE WANDERERS FC]

Young Wycombe Wanderers defender Max Kretzschmar answered a few questions for us here at Under The Prem earlier on in the summer.



How do you feel last season went for the club?
Of course last season ended on a huge high for us, incredibly hauling ourselves out of the relegation zone on the final day of the season away at Torquay. It is a day that I and I'’m sure many of the fans will never forget. However this season, the staff and players are under no illusions that the previous season was a poor one and one that we must improve upon. We had our fair share of problems on and off the pitch so we are keen to put those problems to bed this season and show everyone a united Wycombe Wanderers in all aspects of the club.
What were some of the highs and lows of the 2013/14 campaign personally?
Last season was my second season as a professional but my first real season in which I was heavily involved with the first team. It was certainly a rollercoaster season full of ups and downs. Losing to relegation rivals Bristol Rovers on the penultimate game of the season, giving them the ascendancy in the battle for survival, was a huge low for me and the team. Straight after the final whistle a large part of me did think that we would be playing non-league football the season after. My ultimate personal high was probably my first two professional goals away at Hartlepool in which I only came on at half time. Scoring those goals was obviously a huge buzz for me as they were my first in professional football and moreover they were scored in an important 2-1 win for us. Scoring a penalty in a 1-0 against league leaders Chesterfield was hugely satisfying as well.
How has pre-season gone for you on a personal level so far?
Pre season is always physically tough on players and this season has been no different. We’ve had lots of matches this pre season [mostly two a week] which has helped my match fitness build more quickly than in previous seasons. Playing Chelsea in Matt Bloomfield’'s testimonial was a great experience for me of course. Playing against that calibre of player is always a great learning curve for a young player like myself and so it was great to have the chance to test myself against them. I'’ve had mixed performances this pre season, some good and some shall we say not so good, but my main focus is to ensure that come the 9th of August I'’m in perfect shape physically and mentally to hit the ground running in League 2.
We’re quickly approaching the 2014/15 kick-off, what are you looking forward to most this season?
I think I'’m most looking forward to playing a bigger role this season for the team. There will be more expectation on my shoulders from the manager and fans alike but I think I'’m ready to harness that pressure and use it to perform to the best of my ability. Scoring and assisting more goals is a target of mine as an attacking midfielder so I’m hoping I can improve on last season’s tallies. As a team I’m looking forward to improving on last season’s finish and performing much better in front of our own crowd. Getting the Wycombe faithful as loud as possible this season is both a target of mine and the whole team. I can’t wait for it to all kick off!

No comments:

Post a Comment